PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pardon the Loud Noise, Captain...
View Single Post
Old 30th Mar 2008, 16:36
Pugilistic Animus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I believe that one pistol aboard the FD will prevent the rare double failure,i.e a cabin breech and a door breech--- provided that the unwanted discharge of a sidearm is unlikely---in order to be unlikely---the arm is best stored in a quick release cache near to the pilot---

but in light of this recent incident, I'm now of the belief that a thorough review of firearms procedure be undertaken---and I'm eagerly reading the opinions of the others here on this matter---so I don't yet have a firm opinion the more poster who respond the more confused I am

I do however have an opinion regarding firearms choice

Obviously the only acceptable weapon choice would be--- especially for an inexperienced shooter is a DAO [double action only] semi-automatic--or better yet a DA revolver---because semi's require greater care and maintenance as well as the greater difficulty in inspecting for chambered rounds--a revolver in almost unjammable as you can simply fire though a bad round---whereas the ejection and chambering mechanism relies on gas pressure for breech blowback---in a revolver it's a mechanical process---not so sensitive to inconsistencies between round lots---

a revolver can chamber extremely powerful rounds---without extreme wear to the mechanism---and unjacketed rounds reduce probability of of ricochet and aircraft penetration--and of course aim for the head and neck if you feel the intruder is protected by armor

due to the main disadvantage--of lesser firepower---perhaps the 'non-shooting pilot' should be on standby with the crash axe in absolute defense on the FD!

if my great grandmother knew how to not have an accidental discharge wither per colt police revolver then neither should anyone trained in some fancy school