PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CORK - 5
Thread: CORK - 5
View Single Post
Old 30th Mar 2008, 13:48
en2r

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can't see Shannon sustaining 3 year round daily services to New York a 2 to 1 split between Shannon and Cork would be a more natural divide.
No I can't see 3 year round services to New York lasting either, especially given how strong the Euro now is versus the dollar. I fear that the strong Euro coupled with the slow down of the Irish economy and the recession in America may mean that direct US services from Cork are some way off. Perhaps EI could run a service to JFK via either Dublin or Belfast in a similiar vein to the SNN-DUB-ORD routing. If it routed via Dublin it could be used to connect to EI's other long haul routes.
Cork said goodbye to Central Wings and Krakow during the week. Another one gone. That is Krakow, Wroclaw, Warsaw and Budapest all gone off the Cork radar since New Year.
Tom, as has been said before, the axing of Cork-Krakow was part of a huge cull of 14 routes (Shannon-Gdansk was also axed). We still have Cork-Katowice with Wizzair who operate a connecting bus service from Katowice airport to Krakow after every flight. The flight times meant that the Krakow service was used mainly by Poles anyway with few Irish tourists so most of them will just now fly to Katowice and the loss in passengers for Cork will probably be negligeable. This should strengthen the Cork-Katowice service, and perhaps even encourage Wizz to start a Cork-Warsaw service or a Cork-Budapest service (They have bases at Warsaw and Budapest!)