PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Keep the landing fees high please
View Single Post
Old 16th Sep 2001, 19:43
SKYYACHT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Having flown in the USA on many ocassions, I will now add my 2 pennorth. Yes, the US does offer vastly superior facilities for the pilots, including Free Meteorological info (1-800 WX-BRIEF! Marvellous - what about it Met Office?) from a qualified avaition met officer. As many approaches on the ILS as you want - for nothing, Free licence issue! Touch and Goes all day if you want them.

It is apparent that they are able to do this, because of a fundamental difference in philosophies. In the US, Fligh Safety is in the interests of everyone, including those folks on the ground, as well as other airspace users. It is because of this philosophy that the fundings for ATC, Towers, ILS systems and the like is provided by Federal Government.

Now, the UK philosophy appears to be different for Airspace users. Here, if YOU want to fly, (Thus "jeopardising" others in the air/on the ground) then YOU must pick up the tab for the airfield providing you services such as insurance, drinking water etc.....YOU must also contribute to the provision of the expensive ATCOs in the tower. (ATCers, dont get me wrong, I am NOT advocating that I dont want ATC - simply that it should be provided out of public funds!)

I realise that there will be many responses that suggest that this is undemocratic - bearing in mind that there are only 30,000 PPLs in the UK - but surely everyone benefits from flight safety. A free service would perhaps enable more PPL hours to be flown, aiding competence and currency?

I draw an analagy with the provision of roads. Currently in the UK, we have a good infrastructure of roads. These are provided at vast expense by the local councils, indirectly or directly funded from central government. Motorists pay an annual fee to use vehicles on them, but cyclists, pedestrians and hores riders - also ocassional/light users, pay nothing. In fact as roads are in the public domain, we all enjoy the safety that is provided by signage, street furniture and so on.

Ah, well, I suppose it makes no difference in the end - there are simply not enough of us to make a difference. Join AOPA, Action for Airfields, the PFA.....lets support and look after what we have got left.

Tailwinds