PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: Qantaslink Traineeship/Cadetship/General Employment
Old 30th Mar 2008, 08:42
Maloo

Hi all,

I have received a number of PM's about what to expect on the Sim ride/Interview day so rather than replying to all separately I'll do one post on here about it.

The Sim ride will be first. The Sim instructor is a great guy and made us all feel very relaxed and comfortable about what we were going to do. Study the ILS before hand paying attention to the check height at the outer marker (1675' from memory). The sim is your six instruments albeit a bit more advanced than a Cessna and the glideslope is on both the AH and the DI. Fly the numbers and everything should be rosy. If you make a mistake don't fret about it just move on. I made plenty of mistakes and all you can do is try to keep doing better.

For the interview, study the AIP mainly with respect to IFR rules and arrivals. Study company info including fleet numbers and differences between types and base ports. There is a big focus on personality questions. Think about strengths and weaknesses, when you have let your boss down, when you have bent rules flying if you have, any conflicts you have had in the workplace and when you have had to put your foot down. You also get asked what you would do if your skipper who had been flying for thirty years wanted to go 50' below the MDA/DH. Depending on what you say you'll get pressured again to go below the MDA/DH. I'm not going to tell you what to say here because those of us who are safety orientated will know what stand to take.

Don't be afraid to analyse yourself, especially when it comes to weaknesses - None of us are perfect. Also don't be afraid to say what strengths you have - just do it in a humble way. Don't bulls**t, don't be a tw*t, talk to them like they are people and don't use one worded answers. I had two interviewers and one was outside the room for about ten minutes before the interview which meant I made sure I could hold up a conversation for the time that we were alone. I actually found his past pretty interesting and found out we grew up in the same side of my home city. Oh, and make sure you're well groomed when you show up because that makes a big impression.

Oh, and be yourself too. If the company doesn't want your personality, so be it. There are plenty more companies out there and plenty bigger. Qlink are still advertising for the program so they are desparate. Don't be smug though, you still have to show up and perform on the day.

That just about covers it. If there are any more questions please don't hesitate to put them on here and I'll try to answer them.

Cheers,

Maloo