PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chaos at Terminal 5
View Single Post
Old 30th Mar 2008, 07:45
Walnut

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Was T5 really finished?

If as the title suggests T5 was not finished then the real fault was BAA's not BA's for the current fiasco.

It has become apparent that BA is having to cull up to 20% of its planned flts at the new terminal, why?

I believe its because there are insufficient stands at the new facility to run the full operation. You get a similar effect with BA's operation when the movement rate at the a/p reduces due to bad w/x, then domestic and some out & back european flts are canx. These have the least effect on the next days operations, & bring the operation into balance.

I appreciate a/c are taking longer to turnround due to the baggage problem but if the stands are not available then no amount of tinkering is going to help.

The terminal completion has been set for some time, ever since WW has been at the helm. Open Skies has been set to start this weekend, with all the terminal changes and space needed to accomodate the extra flts and of course the Queen had been booked to attend the opening.

So with all these pressures I question if all behind the facard was actually finished? Perhaps someone can comment?

Re the baggage, clearly 7000pd can not be allowed to build up in the airside vaults of T5, within a week the current 20,000 will become 50,000, then what? Are they all carted off in the dead of night to a landfill site!! or is the terminal closed or some flts moved out until the building is really finished.

If BAA can be proved to be at fault the BA will have the potential for a massive lawsuit against them.