PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Warrior - good for ab initio training?
View Single Post
Old 30th Mar 2008, 07:34
Final 3 Greens

Warrior - good for ab initio training?

I am receiving quite a bit of stick (from a student pilot) on the Private Flying forum (Starting my PPL thread) for having the temerity to state my opinion that the 152 (or PA38 or DA/V1) makes abetter ab initio learning platform than a Warrior.

My opinion is derived from a combination of experience (having flown both during initial training) and from listening to a number of instructors over the years.

My experience is that the Warrior is too forgiving of minor handling faults and post GFT (it was a while ago) I believe that my handling skills reflected this. It was not until I revisited the 150/2 and the Pup that I realised I could not trim or fly in balance as well as I should have been able to.

The student pilot's latest assertion is "You perpetuate the myth that the 152 is the better ab initio training aircraft. In fact there is little in it and many prefer the Warrior."

An just wondering how the instructors on this forum view the Warrior as a platform for ab initio, as opposed to a 152 or similar aircraft.

All views will be appreciated and for the avoidance of doubt, I am not an instructor, but a PPL with several hundred hours logged (so by no means the font of all knowledge.)