PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chaos at Terminal 5
View Single Post
Old 30th Mar 2008, 02:53
peebs24

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vino Collapso
"MBA !!

Ha Ha Ha ha ha ha.

A joke qualification of the 1990's and 2000's.

If you want to manage something you absolutely have to know how it works and have 'coalface' experience of the job.

Too many paperwork qualified in-experienced prats in too many key roles in this country. BA is just todays high profile MBA driven c**k up. Another will be long to claim the accolade tomorrow."

Don't blame the MBA itself. There are many instances, particularly in 60's, 70's & 80's Britain where companies have been run into the ground - out whole manufacturing base as a start. Most of these were run by people who DIDN'T have an MBA.

The T5 fiasco has nothing to do with MBA. It was caused by the total lack of leadership from the top. If he had been a good leader Wee Willie would have been in there right away helping his staff by taking some of the flack himself. There is such a thing as a Company culture which again, comes from the top. If the culture is bad then communications between levels of management suffer and that is what seems to have happened here. There is only one explanation as to why so many things went wrong at the same time - the project was not ready to be run. The problem was that the message never got passed up the chain OR it was ignored by the top management who were to scared for their jobs/bonuses to say "STOP".

Despite all the wisecracks about MBA's and management, every company needs GOOD management. What seems to be lacking in BA is leadership and an open door culture that encourages the two way flow of information - good and bad.

By the way, you don't have to have been at that particular coalface to well manage a company. I am retired and I have an MBA and I have successfully run companies in areas as diverse as filtration - including aviation fuel, truck manufacturing, TV, power generation and household appliances in both the US and in Europe. If I have been successful, it was because I lead from the front and encouraged the right culture within the company - teamwork.