PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chaos at Terminal 5
View Single Post
Old 29th Mar 2008, 22:09
Scottish Flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am someone who is prepared to accept that sometimes things don't go smoothly and even in the best run airports & airlines problems occur. What makes a good airline is how they respond to such situations. What I can't accept is when everyone tries to pass the buck and no-one takes responsibility and not even an apology is made to those who are affected. I was due to fly Club Europe to Vienna today with BA from T5. Yesterday I was able to check in online with no problems for both outward and return sectors (I was coming back same day). I went online yesterday evening to check my booking was still ok and the flights were shown as operating. However I then looked at the separate Flight Status section of the BA website - and my outward flight was shown as cancelled. I phoned the BA number given (I was very surprised to get through quite quickly) and it was confirmed that the flight was non-op. The BA person on the line was quick to recount all the problems they were having with T5 but not a word of apology was issued. No alternative flights could be offered due to the short notice although I was advised that as I was a premium passenger I could turn up at T5 this morning and they could see what they could do!! This was unacceptable and I had to cancel my trip which was an important one for me, which I booked some 2 months ago. If it wasn't for me double checking I would have had a fruitless and no doubt frustrating visit to T5 today. If they had contacted me earlier yesterday, I would have had the opportunity to salvage the trip by rebooking alternative flights on Austrian. Knowing that the problems were ongoing why didn't BA plan to give 24 hours notice of cancelled flights or why indeed do they not just return a proportion of flights to T1 until the T5 debacle is sorted out. It will take a lot to convince me to fly BA again and I reckon they will lose many premium passengers for good through their handling of this whole affair.