PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pardon the Loud Noise, Captain...
View Single Post
Old 29th Mar 2008, 21:14
misd-agin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Supporting the program doesn't mean you personally are inclined to volunteer. Are some pilots at my company opposed to the FFDO program? Yes, but it seems to be a very small number. I personally have not met any pilot who have expressed opposition to the program. I've seen the posts by some in opposition but finding dissenters is a lot harder to do than it is to find supporters.

Everyone who enrolls is doing so on their own time and to different amounts at their own cost(days off, or loss of pay, or use of vacation days). As anyone flying a regular schedule knows the impact on the rest of the month's schedule is significant when you have to block 7-8 days off.

The program is not just a simple matter of signing up and you get accepted. You have to apply, get accepted(a fairly detailed protocol), and then find the time and pay for some of the costs, to attend. Even with those obstacles news reports state that the school runs full classes all the time.

Every graduate I've spoken with has been highly complimentary of the training.

Based on those observations it seems like the program is highly supported by U.S. based flight crews.

YMMV, especially if you don't know the program, or the individuals that have completed the course.