PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Japan (AJX) B767
View Single Post
Old 29th Mar 2008, 14:46
The Dominican

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1. Are there any western "gaijin" pilots that fly the 747 or 777 for ANA?

No, the outsourcing agreement with the Japanese Pilots Association restricts it to the 767 and smaller. Although not by name per say but by size, the word around the camp is that the 787 would fall within the parameters of the language.

2. Is there a "glass-ceiling" for foreign national pilots...only slotted onto the Dash8s, 737s, and 767s? How high up the pay scale can western pilots climb?

Like I stated before, yes. Working for one of these companies that are part of the ANA group (AJX,AJV,ANK,A-Net) Is all by contract and this includes the Japanese F/O's and some of the Japanese Captains. There are other Japanese captains that are assigned to duty in these companies but they are really ANA employees, not under contract. As to how high the pay scale? The contract value, that is it

3. Is there a different pay-scale for Japanese pilots flying the same a/c?

Like I said before, the contract Japanese pilots (F/O's and Cap.) sign the same contract we do. The ANA line pilots that are assigned by ANA to these certificates have their own pay scales (ANA mainline pay and benefits) I have no Idea as to what their pay is, but I have a feeling is a little better than ours

4. If one were to fly 4 consecutive 5-year contracts at ANA (20 years) what sort of retirement package, if any at all, would one receive from CReW, or PARC or ANA?

As a contract pilot you are NOT employed directly by ANA, you are officially an employee of the contract agency. They do offer a retirement plan and a sum is deposited into it for the purpose of retirement

5. What contract do the Japanese pilots sign? Years of service requirment? Pension plan?

Read above

6. From what I read about the high failure rate on recent courses, I assume that the root cause has been the pilot's attitude. Adjust to the Japanese way or have your course status adjusted. Not a question.

In a nutshell, yes.