PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Confidence / Time Commitiment?
View Single Post
Old 5th Sep 2001, 11:40
You want it when?

Free Man, Not a Number

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WOW - Thanks one and all for some good advice, best comment from FFF on trying to do the PPL and not to fly. To dam close to the truth when I thought about it.

I've definitely got the bug to fly, air force brat etc brought up on the sound of screaming Vulcan's (101) and chundering Shackelton's (8). I would have joined the RAF as aircrew but my eyes went downhill at 15, and ground duties would have been torture.

My school has been pretty insistent that I make myself available for long periods of time and that I should expect to fly all day as I progress through the course. We will see about that - I shall switch to booking a single hour / hour and a half only in future AND no more burning up family holiday slots. I can always switch schools if they don't like it - as has been said elsewhere it's my money.

I shall take it a bit slower and turn it back into a pleasure thing - rather than a target / learning chore. I'm still concerned about currency but perhaps group ownership will give me the hours I believe I will need. Regarding PFA / Strutts well I've joined a while ago but nothing seems to be doing in my area apart from their AGM! I guess more digging needed there.

AID syndrome, very good point but not a chance, I'd walk from the field without a backward glance (no honest), I believe that already I've learnt enough to make my life safer and more procedural - I've introduced checklists into our Operations dept to their amusement but hey I'm the boss. Of course if Mrs YWIW ever finds out how much my headset and ICOM / VOR capable handheld really cost I would be in big trouble! Besides I've booked her a helicopter lesson (can't beat them join them).

So thanks again and its back to reading Air-Law on the morning train. I've booked a one hour hop on Saturday afternoon. God forbid I shall manage to make the C150 land on both mains at once!

[ 05 September 2001: Message edited by: You want it when? ]