PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Confidence / Time Commitiment?
View Single Post
Old 4th Sep 2001, 18:27
Fuji Abound

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Firstly, I found with all training, with the best will in the world you need to manage your training organisation as much as they manage your flying. I therefore agree with the earlier writer: Check the aircraft is back and serviceable before you leave for the airport, check that the weather is expected to be OK, check the FI is available. Secondaly, brief yourself thoroughly before each flight - your school should provide briefing notes - so you know what skills are going to be covered and so you can "study" these in your own time. If there is a club attached to your school see if it is possible to share a flight with a really experienced PPL who uses the aircraft regularly. You will get a much more realistic idea of the possibilities a PPL opens up, how to manage the risks and how to remain current without any flight becoming a chore. Only you know if you are prepared to work your way slowly through the air training - but if you dont, given your circumstances, go take a fortnight in the States. Having said all of that dont fool yourself - I heard nearly as many people each year let their license lapse as keep it going. Why? I reckon even after your PPL you need to remain current, other wise you will be nervous, not enjoy the flying, and worse still, a danger to yourself and others. Secondly, what are you going to use your license for - you WILL get bored with the 30 miniute spin around the local area with friends. However, if you are prepared to tour, or enjoy aeros, you will get a great deal of pleasure out of it. Hope that helps a bit - hope you keep going - let us know what you do!!