PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Confidence / Time Commitiment?
View Single Post
Old 4th Sep 2001, 17:31
You want it when?

Free Man, Not a Number

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Confidence / Time Commitiment?

Help people!

I've been a PPL stude since the start of July and despite some rotten WX I've managed to get to 11 hours. To do this I've taken days off work (on the assumption of getting at least 4 hours) and only got 1.5, spent most of a Saturday at the airport and only got 2 hours. The bird has broke down a couple of times - "just cycle the switch and hit the CB" - great when do we cover flapless landings?.

OK - 11 hours down not a lot, landings are still pathetic no solo in sight, we're into some major evolutions at work so weekend flying is severely curtailed, and the remaining 2001 holiday time I need for family commitments.

Should I ask for my money back (about £600 being held) and concentrate on ground school and start afresh next year- either at the same school or in the Sates? Perhaps the odd hour familiarisation flight through winter?

Confidence - I accept I'm very early in the course to "give up" but as I see it I'm not sure I'm ever going to enjoy this, I don't want to widow / orphan my family and the only way to ensure I don't do that is to retain high currency - mostly solo to ensure if I do run out of air only I get hurt. Even assuming I do stay current what about a circuit mid-air or running into something I just can't cope with - severe windshear or an engine fire? In 11 hours flying and 2 months of PPRuNing I am starting to get worried about this - a little knowledge - I guess. I know training will help, but every flight must therefore have an element of concentrated learning PFL / EFATO etc.. when do I get to stop, relax and enjoy?

Mrs YWIW also has started to hint that I'm spending too much time away from her. Weekdays I'm gone by 06:30 and return at 20:00ish and then one day each weekend I'm gone by 09:00 returning at 16:00 with a grin and more incomprehensible stories. She still supports me but the cost and time are starting to be noticed.

Any one else run into these sort of issues? Do I just not want it enough? Any amateur (or not) psychologists out there want to help?