PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jetstar - Wannabes & Recruitment II
View Single Post
Old 29th Mar 2008, 05:03
AirborneSoon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CNS base now do DRW-SIN, took over from the JQAsia crew in Feb. I have no idea about JQI staff rosters since I don't work for them. But I do know that they fly NGO every day of the week and I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure SIN also everyday. I used to work in that airport.

As for living in CNS (if you're thinking of moving there from somewhere else) it's not all it's cracked up to be. Rents can be as high as Sydney, although on the plus side it's relatively easy to get good short term accomodation at a reasonable price. Summer in the far north is just wonderful if you love sauna's although winter is pretty good since humidity is less than 99%. There aren't loads of renovated Qlders waiting for tenants (in fact you'll be lucky if there are any left at all since they are being ripped down at an alarming rate) and CNS isn't the prettiest of city's. It's located on a mangrove swamp and all those pics of turquoise seas and white sand islands are taken 3 hrs off the coast. The only places to swim in the heat (without a long day trip on a boat) are the public pool on the esplanade (not pleasant), the cascades out in the hinterland or your own backyard if you have a pool.

My pics for places to settle would be Freshwater, Redlynch and Stratford. These are out of town suburbs in the hinterland just north of the airport. They still have greenery and the odd original house. They are also nicely located away from the crime zone and are peaceful and quiet. You'll be a great 5-10min drive from work with no traffic and thankfully also free of the backpackers which make the place a living hell in the high season. As far as pay goes, I think JQI would probably be one of the best paying jobs in the area, since you're not competing with bpckrs for work at poverty level wages. But that's not saying much...

Oh dear I have ranted on a little. But it's best not to look too much at tourist brochures if you're considering the move north. The only place you'll see scenery like those pics is on the end of an expensive tour.