PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why, oh why can't we have a realistic PPL/IR
Old 7th Sep 2001, 13:38
Fuji Abound

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face

I thought I would try and see exactly the current state of affairs. It is this.

The last CAA CPL exams are indeed said to be in November, albeit their is now no one teaching the syllabus or able to provide any study material. Thereafter their are only two alternatives. One - follow the ATPL route, but the time, cost and more to the point extent seem totally unrealistic for the private pilot, OR take the new JAR CPL. Ah but, the syllabus for the new JAR CPL has not been agreed by the CAA, therefore no one is able to provide any study material AND it seems unlikely any one will, because the need is small and therefore it is not commercially viable to organise study material / courses. I gather a syllabus may have been agreed in France, so you could take the exams in French! In any event the JAR system will at the moment require the prospective PP to take the full CPL exams, even though he may have no commercial aspirations, whereas of course the CAA route exempted the PPL'er from the irrelvant exams.

In consequence, it seems to me JAR for the time being has effectivly closed the door on the PPL/IR. Seems to me that is unfair and some lobbying of the CAA is required. There again we could all roll over and accept it, but I am not sure that brings about the correct sort of change. I for one am going to write to the CAA and see where we go from there.