PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why, oh why can't we have a realistic PPL/IR
Old 4th Sep 2001, 01:53
Fuji Abound

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Why, oh why can't we have a realistic PPL/IR

I forget the exact details of the American system, but for the average private pilot it is realistic to undertake an IR. In consequence, a vast number do. Safety improves and GA benefits. Under JAR the old PPL/IR is all but gone, and yet wasnt JAR partly about the freedom of movement within member states. Why on earth should the private pilot be forced to undertake the full CPL exams., together with training that seems to require ever more time, with ever less recognition of other ratings (IMC) or experience (the old self improver route). I doubt it can be on the grounds of safety to commercial flights. After all the greatest risk must be whilst operating in the confines of a busy ATZ, which the IMC holder is perfectly entitled to do in UK airspace in IMC. I am not proposing for one moment that the training be inadequate, just available, requiring a realistic level of committment from the pilot along broadly similiar lines to that in the States. Why and earth do we all put up with it!!