PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Low Flying
Thread: Low Flying
View Single Post
Old 7th Sep 2001, 11:31
Genghis the Engineer

Received 52 Likes on 28 Posts
Coming home last night in a slow aeroplane against a horrible headwind I decided to duck down and avoid the worst windstrength. I flew 500ft msd, but was probably as low as 200ft agl at times. I've done this before, but have been taught how to, I wouldn't recommend self-teaching low flying skills.

It's important from a safety viewpoint to fly field-to-field, if you've always got an open field in mind for when the engine coughs, safety isn't jeapardised and much of the "not annoying people" problem is resolved automatically. No field to land in - climb as a matter of habit to keep in glide range of one.

You have to be prepared to climb or go-around houses and even tractors, which I do.

You have to be prepared for some *&(&j horrible turbulence, which as usual I met.

The navigational task is also very different and much more demanding low-level, normal principles don't necessarily apply. You can't see as far, and landmarks look totally different.

But it saved me 10 minutes coming home, and I got a great view of a (completely unconcerned) stag in the middle of a cornfield. How do so many deer exist in the middle of Hampshire without most of the population knowing they're there?

G