PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Helicopter Test Pilots 1940's - 1960's
Old 28th Mar 2008, 22:55
DennisK

Location: Kings Caple, Ross-on-Wye.orPiccots End. Hertfordshire
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ETPS Guys

One name check that hasn't come up is Derek Colvin,

I first met him in the early 1960s when he was racing a single seat Lotus 18. Very successfully too. I seem to remember his son drove and would still be up and about today.

Derek Colvin was a prominent member of the Taunton Motor Club.

In my 1970s Spooner Aviation days, I flew with Ken Reed on many occasions ... in fact he helped my new firm acquire the Enstrom distribution from Twyford Moors Helicopters. His co-director was Frank Mitchell and Bill Bailey was also flying with Twyford too.

Apart from doing our CAA certification flying on the 280C, Ken also got me ready for my CPL GFT, (now ST) to secure my first professional licence and test by Don Sissons.

I'll never forget that test flight cos there weren't many flyers in the UK with any Enstrom experience. On my EOL I failed to hit the 'square' at HTA 2 at Redhill. I tried again and missed the target by a mile.

Don Sissons looked across at me and enquired if the Enstrom was especially difficult to autorotate? I couldn't resist offering him a go, thinking he'd never make the spot either. Very wrong was I. Don dropped the lever and promptly plonked the skids down dead centre.

Happy thoughts to everyone.

PS. Any one know the whereabouts of Wing Commander Chris Bartlett. Ex RAF on the R4.

Dennis Kenyon.