PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chaos at Terminal 5
View Single Post
Old 28th Mar 2008, 22:21
Private jet

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I worked for BA for several years as an engineer before i started flying, during what many would regard as BA's "golden age" in the 90's. Even back then i became progressively more dissillusioned with the type of person that always seemed to get promoted to management positions. Apart from wanting to go flying its the main reason that i left.
In the main, they were;
1. YES men. "YES we can do this.. YES we can do that... no problem" was the line to their superiors. "Make this happen...YOU make this happen" was the line to their subordinates. That does not take a lot of intelligence
2. They were "arse crawlers" before promotion
3. They were arrogant after promotion. That old rhyme "The working class can kiss my arse, i've got the bosses job at last" is very applicable.
Willy Wonka is, in my opinion not as talented as he thinks he is. But, there is also a whole tier of BA middle management who are the same. They consider themselves to be "top drawer clever dicks". They are not.
Dispatching Wonka will not solve BA's problems, the problem is deeper than that.
Also, i think some of the "ashamed" BA staff need to do a bit of soul searching too. I recall in my time there that there was a lot of the "thats not my job/problem" attitude and some aircrew were obsessed with trivial matters with respect to status and money (my father was senior flightcrew at the time and can vouch for the somewhat petty behaviour of his collegues)
I hope BA does not suffer as a result of this T5 fiasco (remember they are having to top up the pension scheme with X millions of pounds per year)