PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CBs - A tad too close
View Single Post
Old 21st Jul 2001, 12:37
Final 3 Greens

Talking

Keef

Me too! It gets scary when you can't read the instruments because the needles are shaking about so much or the AI has tumbled doesn't IT?

Jayemm

I don't wish to have a go at you, but your experience of a CB is at the very mild end of the spectrum. I clipped the edge of an unforecast embedded cell under instruction as did you, but we stalled three times due to windshear (which created severe turb), suffered several big wing drops, gained 2000 feet and then lost over 4000 feet in a couple of minutes in vertical winds and recovered at 400ft over the channel having been "spat out" into VMC. NB, we did not encounter icing, hail or lightning, any of which could have finished the job nicely.

We were extremely lucky to have survived as we could not really interpret the instruments and even if we could have, there would not have been a whole lot that could have been done to control the a/c.

It is good that your experience has added to your flying confidence and I do agree that IMC training is best done in IMC.

Just wanted to put a bit of context around why you may have received some strong feedback!