PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CBs - A tad too close
View Single Post
Old 20th Jul 2001, 04:36
El Desperado

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

Jayemm,

I hope you're not serious there - 'Everyone should experience bad weather <snip> experienced instructor' ?

Are you mad ? The odd scattered CB poses no threat to a well-briefed GA pilot as Doc400 says, but as for intentionally flying through them....

I fly a 757 for a day job and I wouldn't take it within 10nm of an active CB, let alone something the size of a four-seater. Aircraft goes in.. small shiny chunks of metal come out. Microbursts, windshear, internal velocities of over 5000fpm, hail, ice, electrical interference with radio aids, enough water to put out the the insiginificant little spark in your Lycoming. I think I've forgotten more than I put in.

As for embedded cbs... words fail me.

If conditions are, or are forecast to become convective with the possibility of embedded cbs (with associated turb and icing) ask yourself the following questions:

1) Am I instrument rated ?
2) Do I have wx radar ?
3) Is my aircraft anti/de-ice equipped ?
4) Have I filed an IFR flight plan ?
5) Do I absolutely 100% positively need to do this trip ?

If you answered no to any of the above, it's time to leave it in the hangar.

Anyone remember that American 737 brought down by a microburst on finals ? JM...I actually doubt you went right through the centre of a fully active cell as you would be unlikely to be posting about it now if you had !

Safe flying folks.