PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chaos at Terminal 5
View Single Post
Old 28th Mar 2008, 19:49
lambourne

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As a US based pilot I have enjoyed the novelty of flying in and out of LHR over the years. However, I must say the novelty started fell off quite quickly. Everything from the need for every person within a mile of the airplane to wear a reflective vest, to the most recent cluster fornication of security waits at the vehicle checkpoints for crews and the liquids f-up. I will fly to just about any other city in the world before I bid any LHR trips.

It is a shame that such a great place has been ruined with poor administration. Not realizing there are such things as a forest, none the less trees is setting this holding this airport back. Even on a good day it is a mess and the smallest of issues leaves thousands standing on the curbs with cellphones trying to convey the fact that they won't be coming home today.

What are the solution(s) to fix this airport? Can the reflective vest union be unseated? Is it possible to trust a flight crew member with a tube of tooth paste and god forbid a jelly filled donut? Imagine the destruction that donut could cause! Is there anyway to get the vehicle checkpoints to flow more smoothly? It is akin to going to the Department of Motor Vehicles in the states to just get to operations. Long lines, disinterested employees with nothing but their time to take up your time.

Good luck to the great people of the UK, but LHR is a disaster. Can not imagine what the new cluster will look like when the other US carriers turn up there in a few days. I wake up at night hearing, "delays are running Three Zero minutes, I will call you back". I think that might be the best we see in some of the coming months.

Perhaps you guys feel the same way about JFK? Not sure if it is painful for you as LHR has become for the other team.
Lambourne