PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CBs - A tad too close
View Single Post
Old 17th Jul 2001, 13:39
FlyingForFun

Why do it if it's not fun?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

Pic1day - I had a very similar experience. It was my check out for the qualifying cross-country (club rules - you have to be checked out by a different instructor before doing QXC), so it was the first time I'd flown with this instructor (although she went on to become by regular instructor afterwards).

She told me the go/no-go decision was entirely mine. All the forecasts showed scattered CB at 3000', so we went. Immediately after departure we came across a nasty shower. It was moving quickly, though, and in less than 5 mins we were on our way in improving weather. By the time we reached the south coast, it was CAVOK - beautiful blue skies with a few whisps of stratus very high up. I found our first turning point easilly, and the instructor diverted me to Greenham Common.

I planned the route to Greenham Common and set off in the right direction, but after about 10 mins a huge band of cloud appeared in front of us. Being very naive at the time (even more than I am now), I didn't realise it was CB, and decided to try to get underneath it through the rain. I now have a much more healthy respect for CB than I did before!

We looked left and right, but couldn't see the end of this band of cloud anywhere. Considered diverting to Goodwood, but decided to hang around for a bit and see if the cloud moved. Eventually the CB moved out the way, but there was still plenty of other cloud around, and my instructor let me go through it on instruments. Very bumpy - I recommend that everyone should do this, because it's really nothing like doing a rate-1 180-degree turn with foggles on!

I think we both breathed a sigh of relief when we came out the other side and saw White Waltham in bright sunshine below us!

Here's hoping for blue skies in future!

FFF
------------