PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Do BA pilots really deserve our support re Openskys?
Old 28th Mar 2008, 15:19
PoodleVelour

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angel

I would think you'd have to check the minutes for exactly what was said and by whom. Given the vagaries of this forum, unless I got it word perfect, I would be flamed, and as I mentioned earlier, I have no wish to comment - at least not in a way that takes sides.

In parenthesis, my opinion would be that the BACX CC were enthusiastic and keen to become part of BA. I think we all saw it as part of a great adventure - we'd been bought by the world's favourite, surely that had to be a good thing? Perhaps the BACC perceived this as being brash and impressionable, gauche even - I really don't know. I don't actually remember things ever getting as far as a formal request for help; certainly any interface where BACX movement onto the seniority list was discussed just resulted in what were seen initially as postponements, then put-downs. The impression was that we were a nuisance, and had been responsible for the demise of BAR - which was far more important. Again, with 20/20 hindsight, perhaps it was all a great misunderstanding. The endgame was BA management telling us it was up to BACC, and BACC saying it was up to management. We became disappointed and cynical, particularly because all the concessions were one-way, secondees, commands etc etc and rightly or wrongly some of our number decided we were being taken for a ride. Eventual pressure and repitition resulted in the RJ/146 offer. Coincidentally, if I remember aright, there were no CC reps from those Fleets, but even if there had been, I doubt it would have made any difference.
As a CC, we grew up quickly - I think it's a shame BA mainline guys here denigrate the BACX CC - it was no coincidence that nobody was voted off.The only changes over the next couple of years were people standing down for personal reasons - I know one was actually virtually pushed into a medical retirement, and another arguably hounded out following an MOR incident. Yet another mysteriously failed a Command Course. The BA management (who I think just danced as the strings were pulled from London) became much more authoritarian and unco-operative; there was so much work to do that seniority became a back burner, or even a dead duck to mix my metaphors. I don't believe there was ever any substantive opposition to what we did through that period, in fact quite the opposite.

Not one of the most relaxed periods of my life! Happier days now.