PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Snot ATC
Thread: Snot ATC
View Single Post
Old 8th Sep 2001, 00:30
Bright-Ling

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think that this is sadly a LARS politics question.

The reason that you get/got a good service from Farnborough is because they are a CAA paid LARS unit. Extra controllers are paid to do the LARS task, and with the lack of CAS, it helps to have an almost known traffic enviroment for the inbounds. (BTW AC-DC, EGLF are purely CIVIL, and have been for decades! The airfield isn't even MOD(PE) anymore)

Me thinks that this particular unit is playing the political game. If the CAA won't pay for the LARS then they may have been towing a party line regarding giving a "free" service.

As an ATCO and someone who flies I can see the argument from both sides. I agree that the demise of LARS from airfields such as Luton is sad, but they now offer a bit of service (free!!).

As for Solent - trust me they are NOT interested in speaking to you UNLESS you wanna cross their airspace - which they will only grant if NOT busy. Think of their (UNPAID!) task, if every time someone flew to IOW or around it on a nice day!!! That is why Farnborough helps out towards the coast (esp as Dunsfold closed a long time ago).

I don't wish to labour the point but NATS especially are kinda reluctant to receive £50K or so to provide a LARS service and pay for a few extra controllers!

The new owners will, The Airline Group, I daresay be even less likely to cary the cost of services to aircraft outside CAS.

Wonder if this unit is run by SERCO per chance?!?!!?!?! Wattisham perhaps?!?!?

GOING BACK to the original point though - I am amazed at the attitude of the said ATCO. At the very least I would have phoned the unit or written a letter. Wonder if you could 1261 them!!!!??!?!?!?

[ 07 September 2001: Message edited by: Bright-Ling ]