PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Snot ATC
Thread: Snot ATC
View Single Post
Old 31st Aug 2001, 22:56
Gary Halliday

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Snot ATC

Whilst out and about this week over southern England VFR and avoiding a CTR + CTA vertically and laterally, I listened out on the radar frequency and found it only moderately busy with a couple of IFRs and a few VFR military helicopters, so I decided to give them a call. Gave details and asked for FIS. "Nothing to affect you, FIS not available free call XXX (destination)". Well OK I could see only 1 of the previously mentioned VFR mil helos, so there wasn`t that much about. I replied OK but that I`d maintain a listening watch on his frequency. " YOU MUST FREE CALL XXX THAT IS AN ATC INSTRUCTION FIS NOT AVAILABLE" was the reply. Again I replied that I accepted non FIS but would listen out. "YOU CANNOT LISTEN OUT CHANGE FREQUENCY NOW". Silence. Did I change or didn`t I. Would you or wouldn`t you. Consider the following.

1 The flight was not under any ATC authority.

2 The destination was a piddly little grass place with A/G radio only - it was 15 mins away at time of contact with the close to track Intl Airport. Free call them for what?.

3 The remaining track was partly over water and in any event from a D/D point of view the big airport was a much more able (you would hope) authority.

4 London Info would similarly be less effective in that I`d have to establish comms all over again.

5 What Rule of the Air or Air Traffic Control Regulation was I contravening and which one was he invoking to tell me what to do?.

I didn`t mind the lack of service just the rudeness.

GH

[ 31 August 2001: Message edited by: Gary Halliday ]