PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair - 6
Thread: Ryanair - 6
View Single Post
Old 28th Mar 2008, 13:33
pee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MOL is a very purposeful guy, but a straightforward type of man. His role has been extraordinary in developping the company, in negotiating the deals, in rising the profitability and keeping an eye on efficiency. But he seems kind of locked in that style of activity and so is Ryanair lacking some kind of subtlety.

The style of MOL's thinking is: "We know better what you need, you need just very cheap flights, we do not have to offer you anything else." That, however, is not always true, it's delusory indeed.

Firstly, many people demand to be treated in a "special" way, they want to be cared for and, while they aren't obviously any good target for lcc's, they tend to be naive in some way and one might try to offer them something "special" to "soften" this attitude and to convince them to travel in a different way. Ryanair however does not bother to care for anybody beyond the absolute minimum, so no chance to be accepted by this kind of people.

Next, there is a group of modest, unpretentious people who do appreciate the effectiveness, good economy and do not need excessive luxury. These principles could facilitate getting the confidence and promoting low-cost travel. But I doubt if the "one-penny-flights" are the best kind of marketing towards them. Rather poor one.

Beside, some people (like many here in Finland) are convinced that "nothing very cheap can be of a good quality". They could consider flying with Ryanair for a reasonable price, but not for "free". Again, a one-penny marketing acts as a deterrent rather.

Now, who are the customers waiting for those cheap flights? Maybe me sometimes, maybe you. But that kind of marketing can have its side-effects either. Some could say: "Well, 20£ flights? Why bother. Let's wait for one-penny flights. It's too expensive right now".

Time for changes, I agree. A bit more conveniently, with multiformity, listening to passengers' needs.