PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Do BA pilots really deserve our support re Openskys?
Old 28th Mar 2008, 12:29
PoodleVelour

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Certainly.

We had only had company recognition of BALPA for a very short period of time, we had just integrated three airline identities into one with all the problems associated with that, we had a succession of BALPA head office assigned personnel changes and were basically new to the whole union thing.
We had expected help, assistance and advice from BACC, perhaps it was a mistake, but the majority of the agendae of the meetings and presentations (with one or two individual's notable exceptions) at that time were aimed (possibly understandably from their perspective) solely at securing the preservation of BAR pilots Ts, Cs and lifestyle. BACX was regarded as "Plastic BA" which irritated a number of senior and exceptionally well qualified personnel in BRAL, Brymon and Manx - this confusion spread throughout the membership and did not facilitate amity or progress at the meeting table. BACC simply would not discuss any seniority list issues, far less support them.
Quite possibly, and obviously I am now into speculation rather than history, had BACC extended assistance, seriously helpful advice and support as we knew they had with Cityflyer Mk 1, it might have been very different. The really odd thing was that the incoming BA DFO actually DID support the BACX CC aspirations for many things at the beginning, and was enthusiastic about us working with BACC.
Anyway, it was not to be. The BACC offer for the RJ/146 pilots must have designed by a political illiterate, there was no possibility of it ever being sold to the BACX workforce. Even with positively spun hindsight, the Emb and TP fleets would never have voted for it, hence there was no possibility of it ever being recommended. Regrettably, rightly or wrongly, it was perceived as more of the 'Plastic BA' attitude and as I recall what few cordial relations there were broke down quite swiftly after that. Also at that stage, as the fleet changes, base changes, management changes, total airline format changes gathered pace, there was simply no possibility of concentrating on any one issue, and to have recommended a strike ballot would have been meaningless as the day to day change, disruption and individual concerns were over riding. I would suggest that to push through a serious threat of industrial action, a totally united and focussed workforce is require, and for a variety of reasons, after BA became the owner of BACX, this was never achieved at any level - which was particularly irritating because the cultures within Manx, BRAL, and Brymon were actually mature albeit different.
I doubt if it was actually grand strategy on the part of BA or BACC which caused it all, I don't believe anyone was (or is) that clever. Certainly the BACX CC made mistakes, but they were largely errors of judgement due to complete inexperience in role. Nobody's fault, nobody was supposed or required to help out with advice and support, but I think there was great surprise on the BACX side that we were treated as "Plastic BA" by people we had initially considered to be new colleagues. Perhaps an expectation that BALPA would be a broader church on BA Group issues than proved to be the case.

Hope that helps a little, a lot of water has gone under the bridge since then. Pilots are peculiar creatures, there are still Thomsonfly pilots not happy about the Orion seniority issues, there are FCA pilots unhappy about the UK Leisure issues, there are even ex Manx pilots still unhappy about the Loganair seniority issues, and there isn't a Manx Airline any more!

Quocunque Jeceris Stabit!