PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chaos at Terminal 5
View Single Post
Old 28th Mar 2008, 09:49
slingsby

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I watched, I waited, and I was right. I've had several discussions with one of the team planning and testing the baggage systems in T5, primarily because I am the godfather to his daughter. For months, he had been saying it won't work, too much reliance on a new and untried system, too many unresolved problems and issues. BA workers not knowing where to go, when to take full ULDs out to an aircraft, not knowing where to park, where to wait etc. It was a disaster waiting to happen.

And Guess what, this isn't the biggest part of the "terminal move" plan, the 30th April should see all of the T4 long-haul ops come over to T5. I foresee and predict many months of misery for BA and BAA, let alone the poor passengers who are expected to put up with sub-standard services.

Shortage of BAA staff, shortage of Immigration staff, both foreseen because they are running at normal staffing levels for FOUR terminals not FIVE. The staffing levels apparently running at 30% below required levels. Watch the other terminals start to feel the pinch as BAA bleed expereinced staff from existing areas to feed T5.

BAA got rid of their previous CEO before he had to fall on his sword, its about time some heads of departments came out into the terminal to hear their customers comments, both passengers and the airlines. I was rather amused to watch BA managers running for cover, telling their staff not to use the terminal area or check-in to leave work. I'm sorry but it would go 110% to foster better customer services if the leaders led from the front instead of hiding in their boardrooms.