PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - No fault go around policy
View Single Post
Old 27th Mar 2008, 20:46
Basil

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
John R,
I was pax on a go-around a few weeks ago in a B777 at Newark.
From the cabin it was a smoothly flown non-event and I am sure most pax did not realise what had happened.
Re communication from the flight deck: In a busy terminal area, ensuring that: the aircraft is safely climbed and accellerated, correctly configured, the first and subsequent altitude restrictions are achieved, lateral navigation is accurate, ATC is informed and alterations to the standard go-around levels and routeing applied and checklists executed can generate quite a high workload.
That is before taking into account reason for go-around: weather, conflict, obstructed runway or the captain was not happy with his or his first officer's approach. Make another approach? Divert? How's the fuel?
A passenger would not expect a surgeon who has encountered more bleeding than expected during a procedure to pick up his mobile and tell the relatives about it. They would, quite rightly, expect the problem to be dealt with asap.

Yours was a valid question and please, please don't think I'm having a go. We do try to get a word in but on occasion there just isn't time.
In the days when the Chief could just walk into the flight deck we could turn around and, in amongst a lot of other chat, say, e.g: "Something on the runway, having another go, about 15 min to landing." and that would be passed on, in a less abrupt manner, to the passengers.

Perhaps the unlocked flight deck door, and suspender belts, will make a comeback. I won't hold my breath