PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spin training in most school is rubbish
View Single Post
Old 5th Sep 2001, 20:06
john_tullamarine

Received 113 Likes on 73 Posts
Like Genghis, I have only just seen this discussion and definitely want to echo his comments.

Two thoughts result -

(a) in Oz, unless things have changed in recent years, 172s, Cherokees and the like are Normal (and for some models Utility) Category and not approved for spinning and other aerobatic style things. Is it so very different overseas ? .. or am I just being a bit of a fuddy duddy ?

(b) one CAN get into unpleasant unintended or uncommanded situations from time to time.

(i) Many years ago as a young chap, I had a moment or two of excitement when a Blanik didn't release properly on a booming day at a height not all that much above the ground.... and I subsequently found the Supercub upside down and stopped before I could pull the bung to get rid of the glider (the glider instructor did the same thing at much the same time and we ended up losing the towrope .. pity about that).

Now, this situation was not at all commanded or intended by me .. but I was stuck with the problem.

End result was a recovery nearly in amongst the tree tops.

(ii) on another occasion, while doing some flight testing post mod on a PA31, a stall check saw the aircraft with landing flap go rapidly through the vertical in roll.

.... food for thought, perhaps ... if a chap hadn't been exposed to such things before they happened ?

[ 05 September 2001: Message edited by: john_tullamarine ]