PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spin training in most school is rubbish
View Single Post
Old 5th Sep 2001, 04:08
Say again s l o w l y

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There really is a load of old tosh being written here.

Most PPL's fly a/c such as 152/172 etc. Spin recovery on these is only a matter of releasing the rudder and easing out of the dive. I agree that if spin training is taught then it should be a system that works on all planes not just your average Cessna/Cherokee. Which you really have to try hard to spin in the first place.

The main point is being missed here tho', if someone is incompetent enough to get into a spin turning finals (where most people manage it) at around 700 ft, does anybody really think that they will have the presence of mind to recover in the very short space of time before impact?? I don't think so.

If people are to undertake any sort of aero's then spin training MUST be mandatory, personally before any aero sortie with a student, I make sure they can recite the spin recovery very accurately and then make them prove this to me once we are actually up and flying.

As to the comment that Wannabe airline pilots are to scared to teach spin recovery properly, well I'll treat that with the disdain that it deserves. I know this 'cos I am a wannabe (actually v.soon will be) airline pilot, but at the moment am a professional instructor and I take my job very seriously indeed, if that means going spinning, you make sure you do it as well as you teach the rest of the syllabus.

If people are wary of the spin, that's actually no bad thing. If you are wary of it then you are more likely to avoid it. The thought of many of the PPL's I fly with going off and spinning on their own fills me with dread.
Spins should never be taken lightly, especially if you don't fly as often as you should to keep totally current. Military pilots are very different from your average PPL and if they have to do a spin check every month, how often should you do them?

Believe it or not though, I do think that spinning should be in the syllabus to stop people being scared of the a/c, The number of times I've had students turn to me and say 'is that it?' As they've heard all the horror stories in the bar from people who should really know better.

Spinning can be fun, but it can also be dangerous if the correct precautions are not taken, how many do the weight and balance calcs before going??

Just remember the tragic crash on Osea island (10nm N Southend) when two people were killed in a Commmander whilst spin training.
Whatever the cause was, it needn't of happened. One of our members was first on scene and after he told us about it all, aero and spin training stopped for a while. RIP.

Just make sure that you actually know what you are doing and that the plane is capable. After that enjoy them, then get somone capable to teach you aero's then you can really learn how to fly a plane!
Quick tip, 10 hours of aero's is worth 100 hours straight and level, when it comes to handling finesse.

Spleen vented, time for bed.

[ 05 September 2001: Message edited by: Say again s l o w l y ]