PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spin training in most school is rubbish
View Single Post
Old 3rd Sep 2001, 23:52
Whirlybird

The Original Whirly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tiger Moth,

Spins are no longer in the PPL syllabus at all. As far as I know, they were taken out because more people were killing themselves practising them than were going to be killed be getting into one inadvertently. That's more or less what this thread is about, at least I think so.

Concerning stalling, you're right, and then again you're not. Anything in aviation is easy when you're ready for it, not overloaded, and have altitude and therefore time. But problems in flying don't occur under those ideal conditions. One of the most likely times and places for an unexpected stall is coming into land in difficult conditions - are you sure it would be that easy to cope if you stalled due to windshear at 300 ft with full flap? After nearly 200 hours, I'm not. Or what happened to me a bit back; I let a friend take over in straight and level flight, and she panicked and froze on the controls. Luckily we were at 4000 feet and she relaxed again after a few seconds and I took over; otherwise I would have been very glad to have had a bit of time to sort things out. It's all too easy to get over confident; I know, I've done it.