PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spin training in most school is rubbish
View Single Post
Old 29th Aug 2001, 19:14
stiknruda

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

As a PPL I spin regularly, I enjoy it, it gives me a buzz - I believe that it makes me more proficient in aircraft control.

I don't believe that it should be compulsory for PPL training but it should be so for higher ratings and should be strongly encouraged for PPL students and holders (insurance incentives, etc).

My early experiences of spinning in a C150 were not even remotely enjoyable and I was frightened. I spent some time with a qualified chap in an aerobatically competent aeroplane and it was a whole different experience.

In my aircraft, I have "experimented" with in-spin aileron, out-spin aileron and differing power settings but only at great height (the firmament!)and only after self briefing myself on exactly what the sortie will include with recovery heights and that magic decision height about leaving the aircraft.

I enjoy it enormously, I take it more seriously than almost anything else in aviation but I wouldn't force anyone to do it. I no longer spin inverted for fun as I just do not enjoy it as much as the right way up.

I do believe aerobatics makes me a better pilot purely in terms of aircraft handling.

If in doubt find a sympathetic instructor with an aeroplane designed for aerobatics and go out and play.

Stik