PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spin training in most school is rubbish
View Single Post
Old 29th Aug 2001, 17:38
Rallye Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

I agree that PPLs shown have some spin training. I know a lot of PPLs that went on to do an IMC rating very soon after getting their licences but are now reluctant to use those skills because they don't feel comfortable being in that situation - where a loss of concentration could easily lead to a spin or spiral dive.

I decided that it would make more sense for me to do some aerobatic training first, which is why I'm working my way through a type conversion onto the Yak 52. This includes basic aeros and what to do if they go wrong and you end up in an unusual attitude.

So far I've done two sessions of spins and one comprehensive session of stalls and dynamic stalls. The Yak drops a wing, and the full stall on a left turn in approach configuration is particularly spectacular as the torque tends to roll you inverted.

I enjoyed doing the spins and have more to do (inverted and flat). But it is a whole different ball game in an aircraft which is designed for such manouevres, from one which is "semi aerobatic". I know someone who was demonstrated a power-on spin in an Aerobat by an examiner a couple of weeks ago. They started at over four thousand feet and the aircraft finally snapped out of it at about 800! Not a fun scenario.

We all have to do a two yearly check with an instructor. I know a lot of people whinge about this, but surely that is precisely the time to get a bit of practice in things that have been neglected or never done at all. Spinning could be one of them.

RD