PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spin training in most school is rubbish
View Single Post
Old 29th Aug 2001, 11:16
A7E Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In the US, spin training used to be part of the PPL syllabus, but there were more accidents during the training than in real life --- so a change in philosophy to "stall avoidance" was controversially implemented.

You may find it interesting that in my training as a military fighter pilot, I only had one flight of spin training. (Jet engines don't like the prolonged lack of air flow that comes from spins -- and some jets easily enter flat spins which are generally bad news.) We probably did one spin flight in primary training (prop aircraft) but I think most of the training focussed on slow flight and acro training rather than spins.

In the fleet as a fighter pilot, we had strict rules about no slow speed (<300 kts) "dog fights" below 10,000 feet, and we briefed spin recovery procedures at every ACM (dog fighting) brief. I never did spin a fighter, but I did have several high speed departures (a "wooferdill" at 450 kts from pulling too many g's - very high AOA at high speed). The aircraft recovers by itself almost instantly after swapping ends once or twice).

As for GA, I guess I side with the school that says focus on stall avoidance/stall recovery rather than spins. Spin training should only be taken on as a fun acro-related activity --- and not a formal part of basic training. Again, the trainng accident rate made the cure worse than the disease. My two cents anyway ....