PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spin training in most school is rubbish
View Single Post
Old 29th Aug 2001, 11:05
ianbishop

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The first 25 hrs of my PPL training was in Canada, where (ISTR) 3 hrs of full stall / spin training is mandatory pre-first solo. I approached my first spin (in a C172, which requires a bit of effort to spin) with some trepidation, but after a few of them, quite enjoyed them (but I had been in ATC doing back seat Chippy / Bulldog aeros for 20 yrs). After a while, I was recovering on specific headings after a specified number of turns - good way of taking your mind off the discomfort of the spin!

This training has possibly saved my life once; when back in UK, most of my PPL training was in PA28 / C152. The last 2 hrs of my PPL training was just to build solo time (I'd done everything else) and I was sent up just to make up the 10 hrs. I decided to practice stalls in various configs as I'd not done them in a C152. Luckily, I was at 5000 ft - the last stall I tried was cruise power and the left wing dropped like a stone straight into fully developed spin. I just reccovered the way I had with all other spins before (replaying instructors words in my head to close throttle, wait, opposite rudder, wait, etc). The a/c may have self-recovered, but at least I was able to remain calm and think logically.

Bring back spin training, I say; there may, however, be PPL candidates who are not comfortable with spinning - possibly make these candidates restricted to NPPL only or make it mandatory pre-IMC / Night training.