PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pardon the Loud Noise, Captain...
View Single Post
Old 27th Mar 2008, 18:43
walkkenn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guns in Cockpit(America, etc.)

Its so easy to say that Americans are gun happy and that arming pilots is a stupid idea. Has everyone forgot what got them armed. Yes, I imagine it was inevitable that eventually a discharge would take place. But, once again, everyone is forgetting why the program was started and that in the late 60's and way into the 70's airliners were being hijacked on a weekly basis and many pilots were being used for target practice. I think I have a right to be armed. Or have an armed guard with me during the flight. You think your company will spring for the cost of an armed guard, or maybe we should arm the flight attendants?

I was in the service for over 12 years and always carried (because of my duties) either an M16 or a .45. Frequently, I was required to have the weapon loaded. I never discharged it, ... ever (accidentally). Carrying a weapon is serious business, just like flying an airplane. Think of all the service members that fly with loaded weapons. Think of all the infantrymen or other branches riding the skids of helicopters with loaded weapons and never discharging them (accidentally).

Wait until the report is out to find out exactly what happened before you condemn the man. If it was a mistake, well, if you get so many people doing it, someone will make a mistake.

I think this is a great program. Or do you think your company will hire armed guards to ride shotgun during the flight. Its common knowledge that the government cut the budgets on the programs that would have protected the flight crews and passengers of the 9/11 hijackings. Who are you going to depend on? Better depend on yourself.

Last edited by walkkenn; 27th Mar 2008 at 18:59.