PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - indian aircraft maintenance exam one of toughest exam in world
Old 27th Mar 2008, 15:49
The Dodger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Making exams easier anywhere in the world is an outrageous suggestion, get in the books for longer and study harder, there is no shortcuts to learning standard practices and maintaining aircraft in the correct way.

I fully agree with you there Beeline. I just do not understand why all the worlds Aviation regulators can't get together and come up with some sort of licence examination system, that is the same for all Aircraft Engineers, worldwide. I have been in the RAF up until recently but I had no idea of how intense the studying for a B1 licence is. I am just getting my head around maths again, and I thought I was ok at it. When I was a fresh faced mechanic in the RAF many moons ago. I worked on a large aircraft fleet in the RAF, which had all of it's primary maintenance done by a sub contractor( mentioning no names ) who employed alot of engineers from eastern countries. Now at the time I thought that all civvy engineers were the best of the best no matter where they came from, because of all the exams and training they did, however that was brought back to earth with a bump, after what I saw. The contractor used to send some blokes over to the UK some times to work on fuel tank repairs. On one occasion they had to get into one of the large fuel tanks. All was going well at the time, they opend the tank and let the fuel vapours vent out for 24 hours. However when they finally decided to get into the tank to have a look, they decided to use for illumination, a normal garage inspection lamp, with the most bodged electricle supply cable you could imagine. I have never run, or seen people run so fast in all my life. Even though the tank had been vented, the risk from fuel vapours was still too great. The blokes in question left very quickly out the front gate after that, never to return. Apparently they had maintenance licences also, which shocked me even more.