PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NOTAMS
Thread: NOTAMS
View Single Post
Old 31st Aug 2001, 00:45
FlyingForFun

Why do it if it's not fun?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hmm, yes that website is a bit more primative than I'd expected.

Anyway, I made a start on the automatic NOTAM finder, so I hope people are going to find it useful! It's coming along pretty well. I've almost finished the data retrieval and parsing. Now I've got to figure out which NOTAMs are relevant to the planned track, and then write a user interface for it. Hoepfully I'll have a beta version ready within a week or two.

But I need a bit of help from you guys:

First of all, does anyone know how many nautical miles one minute of longitude is, at each end of the UK? I plan on taking the average distance, and using this throughout the whole of the UK. I know it's not quite accurate, so I want to find out what the distance is at the north and south extremeties, then work out how much error there would be if I just used the average. If the error is unacceptable, I'll have to use more complex methods.

If no one knows these distances (or knows where to find them, or how to work them out), I can measure the distance in the south off my chart. Maybe a Scottish PPRuNer can measure the distance at the north? Hopefully they'll be so similar you won't be able to measure the distance on a chart, but I don't know....

I also need to appeal to some of you artistic types, because my artistic ability is somewhere just below zero. I need some icons I can use for this program, so if you have any 8x8 or 16x16 icons you can send me (or you want to create some), that would be great. I could also do with some bigger images, to use on the Help/About screen and so on.

Please e-mail anything you think might be suitable to [email protected]

Hopefully this will save everyone a bit of time having to plough through pages of NOTAMs, when only a very small number are relevant to you.

Thanks for your help!

FFF
------------