PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - National Union of Teachers vote to stop MoD recruitment in Schools
Old 27th Mar 2008, 14:01
exscribbler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fan Blade: Now there's a thought worth pursuing.

Years ago when I was but a Baby Teacher, we welcomed to the school a group of students from a nearby College of Education, one of whom was more mature than the rest. He was attached to my class of 11 year-olds and proved to be an instant hit with the pupils. Not only did he express himself fluently and clearly but he was also obviously very capable of managing large groups of people and holding their attention. He had been with us for a week when he let it be known that in a previous life he had been a Major in 1LF. His obvious man-management skills impressed us all and the pupils particularly enjoyed the PE lesson when he led several platoon attacks on the old shed in the corner of the school field...

We were sad to see him go but I bet he was an asset to the school which employed him when he qualified.

I am of that certain age group most of whose teachers had served during WW2, had nothing to prove and were disciplined and dedicated to their jobs. In those days the teacher unions (even the NUT!) concerned themselves with educational matters; it was much the same when I joined. Was it really better then or is my memory dimmed by age?

Cue more posts about the days when we had an Air Force, Navy, etc., etc.