PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Defence Select Committee - Cut Nimrod
View Single Post
Old 27th Mar 2008, 12:46
Widger

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Jacko,

The Royal Navy is not gold plated...far from it and has been decimated over the last decade, much like the other two services. The issu is that the two conflicts the UK is currently involved in, have skewed defence priorities right over to one end of the spectrum. That does not mean that in 10 years time the "swingometer" will go the other way. As I have said in other posts, which you have read, we only have to look at how Russia is exerting it's influence in the Arctic over resources, to see where the world is going over the next 50 years. Some might say that the whole Iraq thing was about resources.

I would personally (my own opinion) say that cancellation of JSF was the most sensible option. Marinate (sic) Typhoon or buy Rafale. Both could operate on CVF and be much more capable than Dave B. This decision would however, upset the light blue who want a Harrier replacement....so a no win situation there then. In the light of Mr Sarkozy's visit, Mr Brown should announce this immediately and in the spirit of co-operation announce new contracts for French Built Nuclear power stations in return for a cheap bulk buy of Rafale, thereby achieving commonality with the French CVF (stores, spares etc.) It is clear that this is what is needed.

Keep up the lobbying old chap........I know it is starting to annoy you....much like that irritating little mossie that flies around your head during your BBQ.