PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Who flew this Bank Holiday Weekend?
View Single Post
Old 29th Aug 2001, 03:39
IFollowRoads

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

It all came together for me this weekend - after 6 weeks waiting for a star annual to get done, managed to pick the a/c up, and join in with everybody else waiting to get into Jersey on Friday night. We gave up early (RVR had gone down to 400 from 500) having listened to various commercials diverting back to where they had come from (or worse) and set course for our alternate - Dinard. Slight problem - RVR was just too low here too, so plan F came into play, and set course for Rennes. Having worked out a course and ETA out, nice lady at Dinard announces 1000m RVR there, so we do a quick about turn, join the hold, line up down the localizer and grab the glideslope, for her to tell us the cloudbase was overcast at 100 ft! Bu**er. Back to Rennes where it was CAVOK. Fell on our feet with the choice of hotel - best bar in town (or certainly within walking distance) and got a reasonable start in the morning to Bordeaux for lunch. Uneventful flight, although the vis. wasn't brilliant, and then met by an absolute honey for 'handling' at BDX ('Come on boys, I take you for a ride' - ooh - tissue please!) Slightly expensive, although convenient meal in the terminal, a load of Avgas, and then to Bezier, where we got fairly burnt and sozzled in the sun. Sobered up for Monday, hit Deauville in the afternoon for fuel, customs & non-rip off Britain smoko & vino, then back to Blighty for w*rk in one of the best vis conditions I've ever been in (Bristol was reporting 40k+ on the ATIS - we could see them and the Welsh coast from Bournemouth!). 11.5 hours flight, 500l of avgas, 5 landings, 1 proc. ILS & MA. Need another bank holiday now - SOON! - please arrange with the weather