PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gliding in London?
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jul 2001, 14:10
yellowperil

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Booker is OK, but is expensive... it's aerotow only for a start, which bumps up the price. It's also very busy, gliders, powered aircraft and helicopters all using the same place, and the gliders didn't seem too bothered about radios. I'm told the gliders do a left hand circuit, power does a right hand, and the helicopters do something else again. Or it might be the other way round...?!? Depends on how good your lookout is...

Also your ideal site really depends on what stage your gliding is at, and how quickly you want to learn. The majoroty of places down south are flat, and therefore thermal only. Great for x-c, as you learn to thermal straight away, and all of that stuff. But it can make for lots of circuits, and the thermal season isn't that long or dependable in this country.

Ridge sites, like Dunstable are great for learning, because as long as the wind blows agianst the hill, you can soar. This is great for learning, and you can do it all yer round. But there is the temptation to stay on the ridge and not venture away,and learning to thermal is a bugger when you are away from the hill.

It might be best to get yourself along to the potential site before you commit to a decision; if you are a current member of another BGA club, you can get day reciprocal membership to see what conditions are like, and make a decision from there. When I went to Lasham a few weeks ago, they didn't charge me day membership because of the x-c restrictions due to FMD, so you might be lucky. Anyway, good luck with your quest...

yp