PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - National Union of Teachers vote to stop MoD recruitment in Schools
Old 27th Mar 2008, 10:27
exscribbler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Education, education, education...

davejb is absolutely right. I spent 40 years (and 72 days) as a teacher and lost count of the number of times the NUT threatened action over some scheme - frequently nothing to do with education - and in the end nothing happened. The Barmy Left took over the NUT some years ago but as their rules require each school to vote individually for action the majority never does anything.

Don't forget it's for Headteachers to decide if a presentation by the Armed Forces is held in a school; the NUT doesn't yet run the schools, you know.

I was several times invited to presentations by all three Services. The Army provided numerous NCOs to guide visitors to the car park, a Brigadier to address us and there was one officer to look after groups of 5 guests - overmanning or what? - but the buffet was excellent.

The RAF sent a Group Captain, numerous pilots and a string quartet; the video of the FJs was terrific but the food was diabolical and confirmed the notion that no-one has yet passed the RAF cooks' course.

The RN did it all with a Captain, two Lieutenants, a couple of Leading Hands and an AB to work the video system. It was all very understated but I thought they should have brought an RM band.

As far as education itself is concerned, I always thought we'd done well if we got to Tuesday in any week without a "major education shake-up" being announced. It took at least a day a week just to read up on the changes.

I haven't had the letter yet asking me to return to save the education world from itself; perhaps they heard me when I told them the next time I entered a school would be to vote...