PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NATIONAL PPL PROGRESS
View Single Post
Old 19th Jul 2001, 02:42
Fuji Abound

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I was very interested in the debate regarding unpaid teaching as a PPL/FI. I have previously read quite some debate on this issue, and even tried to get a straight answer from FCL Gatwick. The consensus of opinion seems to be that even with a FI rating you still cannot teach because in order to do so you must demonstrate CPL level knowledge which to all intensive purposes means taking and passing the CPL exams. The only bit you do not need is the CPL aerial work and GFT, and it is this part that distinguishes whether or not you can charge for your services. For what it is worth, and I know there has been much debate on this issue on the instructors forum, there will be nothing more restricting to a thriving future for GA. With the effective abolishen of the self improver route for budding commercial pilots, who on earth is going to be prepared to stand the cost of CPL exams, under JAR I think requiring a residential course, CPL GFT, and FI to teach for a pittance, and more to the point how much better qualified are you than the QFI of yester year who I think had to show 600 hours of time, and FI rating. Why on earth cannot a single course be devised for people whose only wish is to teach on light singles and perhaps twins within the GA community which embodies in that single course the technical and practical knowledge to meet the required standard. Whether this will come with the NPPL seems to be debatable. One wonders whether AOPA with its vested interest in existing instructors may support or oppose such a rating?