PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Inadvertent Spins -- How close have you come ?
Old 14th Jul 2001, 23:04
Tug

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

This happened to me on my GFT way back when;
The examiner was an airline captain from the jurrasic period. I really don't think he enjoyed being up with a novice and only one engine. All was going well though, and then we climbed real high for the incipient spin recovery bit. The cherokee 140 croaked its way up to 4 or 5 grand and he said something along the lines of.." you will pull the nose up and I will kick in some rudder and you will recover before the stall."

Well, I was young and fearless in those days and said OK (duh) and we did as he said.I pulled up and as the wing dropped he kicked in a boot load of opposite rudder.
Anyway, the aircraft span beautifully and I still remember him screaming..... "recover recover!" at the top of his voice. I could see the sparkling sea below revolving around the window. I'm not going to pretend that I was unfazed by all this but luckily for both of us I had completed my glider training a year or two earlier and did what I had done in gliders and we came out of the spin and trundled back to the airport.
Where I was informed that I had failed the test.
There's real meaning when I say I could have killed the guy!!
[img]null[/img]