PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pardon the Loud Noise, Captain...
View Single Post
Old 26th Mar 2008, 19:19
Jaxon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Everybody thinks that the captain has broad authority to refuse jumpseaters.
So "everybody" is wrong? Maybe you should ask the FAA about Captain's authority.

Try it and see what happens.
I'm too happy to extend the courtesy to everybody who is courteous.
But I've been around too long to let you tell me what a few decades in the business have revealed. (Not much happens, if anything at all.)

ALPA's primary motivation, not to mention the carriers that actually own the seat, is to enable pilots to get to and from work.

Though ALPA supports the captain's authority they are more concerned that a pilot can get home or to work.

Just refuse a jumpseat and see wait for the ALPA response. These boards are filled with people talking about refusing jumpseats but I would bet that very few have actually done so.
Yes, ALPA wants the jumpseat to be used, appreciated, and respected. But ALPA also places higher emphasis on Captain's authority and will always throw the angry jumpseater overboard to protect the all important authority of the captain if it must.

The TSA has been pretty clear about the FFDO issue. Next time you fly with an FFDO ask him/her what they are told in training will happen if they are refused a jumpseat.
I don't need to ask. (Hint: Call me Leo - or Fido if you prefer.)

Fortunately, the TSA does not dictate Captain's authority.
The FFDO on duty must be permitted to do his job as armed aviator - true. Jumpseating still requires a Captain's permission, armed or not.