PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Do BA pilots really deserve our support re Openskys?
Old 26th Mar 2008, 17:15
Shaka Zulu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I really do not get some of the reasoning and bitterness about stuff that has got nothing to do with the current situation.
I joined BA only a couple of years ago, trying to make a better living for me and my family.
95% of the guys/girls I fly with are top notch operators/consumate professionals and are well aware of the state of industry as it is in now.
This is partly due to our CURRENT excellent Company Council who I think ARE changing the way a professional union should respond ; but it's also due to people applying foresight and informing themselves about what 'will or could' happen in the future (be it tomorrow or in 10 years time).

I am absolutely sure mistakes have been made in the past, however its implications on how to act today bear no relevance to me. I'm staggered about people spouting untruths without informing themselves, and the blinkered view that it won't affect them.

I've been in the LOCO world and towards management within it and we certainly benchmarked ourselves a) to our direct competitors and b) to legacy carriers. To retain talent suitable for promotion and reduced training cost/turn over.

In no other profession have I seen so much bitterness/anxiety and resentment then in aviation. We owe it to ourselves to be professionals and support eachother.
Keep this industry somewhere dignified and a good job to support a wife and kids.

I'm doing 900hrs a year, can get called anytime in the week to come to work.
My pension won't be more than 25k a year (after 30years service, thanks to the new pension deal) and I'm certainly earning less than I would have earned as a Captain in my previous company for many years to come.
So in short, we are just like any other company now and fight for what is left.

Management love the divide and conquer rule, and seemingly on pprune it's all too easy to create that scenario without management input.
Stop putting your fellow aviators down.

A humble BA pilot