PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair B738 off runway in Limoges (LFBL/France)
Old 26th Mar 2008, 17:04
lederhosen

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
As ever some interesting questions are raised by this incident.

Obviously with hindsight they should never have attempted the approach or more realistically at some point they should have gone around.

Any discussion about Ryanair always brings out a colourful range of emotions from the usual parties. Fact is the weather was unfavourable and the runway slippery. If we assume flaps 40, medium braking action and autobrake 3 my performance figures (for the 737-700) indicate a landing distance just under 2300 metres for a ten knot tailwind.

I Know you can argue the other way using max manual braking, perfect test pilot technique etc. But with a tailwind component a bit higher than expected, then the conditions were at best marginal. Reversers a bit late and you have a very similar situation to Southwest in Chicago or Air France in Toronto.

Our job is to use all the information at our disposal. Whilst accepting the caveats about progress page 2 wind information I certainly would not ignore it, particularly if the runway is wet! If in doubt go-around. Easier said than done, but echoing the thoughts of a poster on another thread we need to be more go-around minded.

With tailwind our manual clearly states Vref +5. If the tower reports a gusting crosswind varying between 260 and 310 for runway 21 I would be interested to know what Ryanair or other companies recommend adding to Vref.

I look forward to the official report but in the mean time hope we can all learn from this.

Happy landings!